Walsall Wood 2 AFCW 2

AFC Wulfrunians continued their unbeaten start to the season but required an injury time equaliser from Craig Gregg to secure a hard earned 2-2 draw away at fellow newly promoted side Walsall Wood.


It was the home side who threatened first with striker Ahmet Bilgimer flashing a shot across the face of goal but wide of the target.


The two sides then cancelled each other out for large periods in a scrappy first half until Wood broke the deadlock in the 39th minute when Steven Hayles was freed down the left and his near post cross was bundled home by David Carns.


Wulfs regrouped and levelled matters three minutes into the second half when Craig Gregg latched on to Scott Stevenson’s ball over the top and expertly lobbed the keeper from 25 yards.


The game improved significantly in the second half with Bilgimer breaking through two challenges before firing straight at keeper Danny Tipton for the home side and Brad Lawley flashing a header just wide for the visitors.


It was Wood who regained their lead in the 66th minute when Hayles released Lewis Taylor-Boyce down the left and his pin-point cross was superbly headed home by Bilgimer.


John Hill then went close to levelling when he stretched to force the ball home after Lawley had headed a corner back across goal but his effort rolled just wide while, at the other end, Carns fired wide with the goal at his mercy after good work from Taylor-Boyce down the right.


Gregg then had an effort blocked on the line and substitute Tom Piggott fired just wide as Wulfs built up the pressure in search of an equaliser and they were rewarded in injury time when Jake Webb’s right wing cross was prodded home at the far post by Gregg.


In the end a draw was probably a fair result although Wood will be disappointed they couldn’t quite hang on for their first victory of the season.


Next up for Wulfs is a home game against Boldmere St Michaels on Tuesday night with a 7:45pm kick off.


Back to Fixtures & Results