AFCW 4 Earlswood Town 1

AFC Wulfrunians had to overturn a half time deficit to progress to the Preliminary Round of the FA Cup at the expense of Midland Combination side Earlswood Town. Second half strikes from Nathan Jackson, Nathan Rose-Laing, Scott Stevenson and Jake Webb saw Wulfs home after Chris Chapman had given the visitors a half time lead.


A strong wing ensured the two sides struggled to get going but gradually Wulfs started to get a grip of the game with Mike Robertson flicking Webb’s low cross just wide and then the same player sent a low 25 yard shot just wide.


Rose-Laing then raced in to a neat flick by Robertson but slid his shot wide of the target with just the keeper to beat.


Stevenson then fired just wide from the edge of the area before the visitors shocked Wulfs by taking a 39th minute lead when Chapman dispossessed a defender before slotting past debutant keeper Scott Plumpton.


Earlswood gained confidence from this strike and almost extended their lead when Keith Draper’s long range shot skipped up in front the keeper who did well to divert it over the bar.


Wulfs came out firing at the start of the second half with Robertson having a long range goal disallowed as Brad Lawley was in an offside position in front of the keeper.


Robertson then had a deflected shot tipped over the bar by Tom Savage before Wulfs finally grabbed a 50th minute equaliser when Stevenson’s left wing corner was headed goalwards by John Hill and Jackson nodded in from close range.


Five minutes later Wulfs were in the lead when Webb’s burst into the area was halted illegally and Rose-Laing despatched the resulting penalty.


Lawley then had a fierce shot strike the top of the crossbar before Wulfs made the game safe in the 83rd minute when Stevenson picked up a loose ball on the edge of the area and sent a trademark lob into the top corner of the net.


Webb added the icing on the cake in injury time when he fired home from 10 yards after Craig Gregg’s shot had been blocked.


Wulfs now travel to Stourport Swifts in the next round in two weeks time.


Back to Fixtures & Results