U18’s cut Romulus loose

Wulfs ended their home league campaign with an excellent 3-1 win against Romulus.


The visitors started the stronger with Paul Murchington firing an early shot wide and Michael Owusu heading straight at keeper Chris Ryan.


Ryan was then forced to foil Owusu again when he came off his line to nick the ball off the big striker’s toes after he had been put clean through.


Gradually Wulfs got into the game with Liam Wilkinson firing their first effort wide of the target.


Harvey Pearson then headed Jack Purdie’s cross wide and Mike Brookes shot straight at keeper Ryan Conlon after a neat turn in the area.


In the 26th minute Owusu had a good chance after Murchington had pulled the ball back to him but Charlie Turner produced an excellent block to foil him.


The first goal finally came on the half hour mark and it fell to Wulfs as Ryan Bright’s near post free kick was superbly diverted home by Mike


Ryan was then twice called into action again to preserve the lead, first when he got down well to smother a shot from Owusu and then when he tipped Alex Wilkes’ free kick over the bar.


Jack Marsh then ended a goalmouth scramble by firing a 12 yard shot wide so Wulfs went into the interval with a narrow lead.


The second half started well for Wulfs as they extended their lead in the 53rd minute. Brookes sent in a low cross from the right and Bright nipped in ahead of his marker to divert past the keeper from close range.


It got better still as they made it 3-0 in the 61st minute when Bright played a superb through ball to Wilkinson and his low cross into the middle was diverted into his own net by Romulus skipper Andreas Fatta.


One minute later Marsh released Brookes once more but his low stabbed shot was met by a great save by Conlon.


Brookes then returned the compliment to Marsh but he fired a low shot wide from a good position.

A triple substitution saw youngsters Jacob Craner, Dan Beese and Jack Martin introduced in place of Turner, Wilkinson and the ever-improving Leigh Brindley but Wulfs continued to dominate with Brookes seeing a shot deflect wide for a corner and Craner flashing a shot just wide of the far post.


Romulus got themselves a late consolation when Ralph Clarke fired home after Mitchell Taylor had cut the ball back and had another chance soon after when Matthew Brown fired over from a good position but Wulfs held on.


Back to Fixtures & Results