U18’s bite back against Boldmere

After a few weeks off, both sides started slowly and it took until 10 minutes for either side to do anything in anger when Marsh broke and set up Webb, but the Boldmere Keeper was alert to make a fine tackle on Webb at the edge of the box.


Wulfs had another chance when a long throw from Charlesworth set Webb free and his cross fell to Gutteridge whose goal bound effort hit his own player before creeping just wide.


Boldmere then took the lead on 22 minutes when Wulfs gave away a needless free kick 28 yards out and Chubb hit a fine shot which flew over Ryan into the net.


Wulfs hit back and Marsh and Webb combined to force a corner on the right, Webb swung in the corner to Brookes at the far post, his shot was blocked on the line by 2 defenders but Charlesworth, following up, hammered the ball home from close range.


The rest of the first half was a tense affair although Wulfs thought they had scored on 44 minutes but Brookes was flagged offside by the linesman.


The second half started slowly but gradually Wulfs took control. First Webb shot wide from the edge of the box when played through by Bright and then Bright had his shot blocked by a defender when put in by Webb.


However, on 62 minutes Wulfs pressure paid off when Purdie won a header in midfield to feed Wilkinson, who set up Gutteridge on the left corner of the D and he rifled home a low left foot shot.


Wulfs then assumed total control and Marsh and Brookes combined down the right hand side to play in Bright who shot the ball inches wide.


Webb also curled a free kick agonisingly wide of the upright, before the Boldmere keeper gifted Brookes a chance with a poor clearance. He calmly took it by rounding the keeper and stroking home to extend Wulfs lead on 72 minutes.


Three minutes later, fine interplay between Webb, Marsh and Wilkinson set Brookes free and he finished well from the edge of the box to give Wulfs a 4-1 lead.


With Boldmere hardly troubling Whatton or Pearson in the middle of the defence, Wulfs bought on Turner, Ben Webb and Beese, and went in search of another goal and should have had it in the 89th minute when a flowing move saw Marsh played in but the keeper atoned for his earlier error and made a fine save.


Boldmere got a consolation with the last kick of the game when Wulfs got caught forward and although Ryan blocked O’Reilly’s first effort, he curled the rebound into the unguarded net, but Wulfs ran out worthy 4-2 winners.


Back to Fixtures & Results