U18’s bounce back in style

The game started in confusion as both linesmen were involved in a car accident so 2 willing volunteers were drafted in from the crowd.


In an effort to bounce back to winning ways Manager Purdie made 3 changes from the unfortunate Telford game with Marsh, Haynes and Turner coming in for Whatton, Ben Webb and Brookes.


Wulfs started very well and pressed Wood back and created 3 good chances in the first 10 minutes, but on each occasion took too long and the chances were wasted.


On 19 minutes Wulfs had the ball in the net but Webb was ruled marginally offside and just after that a fine move down the right between Marsh and Bright resulted in a cross finding Webb but the defender got back to make a good challenge


On 32 minutes Haynes started a move on his own by-line which was taken up by Gutteridge whose fine run and cross just escaped the onrushing Webb and Bright.


With goalkeeper Ryan a virtual spectator, Wulfs continued to press and good interplay between Purdie, Turner and Wilkinson set Webb free, but the keeper saved well as Webb tried to take the ball around him.


The half finished with yet another Wulfs corner (their 8th) being cleared away by the defence.


Wulfs started the second half in the same fashion and continued to press hard with no reward and the game became scrappy with both sides conceding petty midfield fouls.


From one of these on 64 minutes Wood pumped the ball into the Wulfs box, keeper Ryan dropped the ball under pressure from Henderson, and from the resulting scramble Carroll forced the ball home with what was Wood’s first effort on goal.


Wulfs brought on Brookes for Gutteridge and it almost paid immediate dividends when from Brookes run down the right keeper Gunn turned over Webb’s fine effort.


On 72 minutes Webb again was set free by Marsh down the right and his cross was headed goal wards by Bright, but deflected for another corner. Webb’s low corner from the left was turned in by Charlesworth to give Wulfs an equaliser.


Wulfs were still controlling the game and Wood were not creating too much apart from the odd free kick and on 84 a long clearance from Pearson found Webb in the clear and he lobbed the ball over the keeper and towards the net, when Brookes, looking suspiciously offside ran in to tap the ball over the line to give Wulfs a lead they thoroughly deserved.


Wulfs bought on Ben Webb and Whatton to shore up the defence for the last few minutes, but Wood almost equalised when from yet another free kick in the last minute Kenney headed agonisingly just over.


Wulfs ran out deserved winners but were almost made to pay for a host of missed chances in a thoroughly entertaining game.


Back to Fixtures & Results