Bright at the double for U18’s

Wulfs visited a high-flying Nuneaton side containing two players with first team experience.


Manager Jon Purdie made just one change from the side which won last week as Brookes replaced Gutteridge who dropped to the bench.


Wulfs started well and took the lead on five minutes when Jake Webb broke down the right and crossed for the onrushing Bright to volley home.


Wulfs continued to press and cause Nuneaton trouble down the right and Marsh’s clever ball was just gathered at the feet of the onrushing Bright by keeper McMillan.


Nuneaton came into the game more and equalised on 29 when Mewies picked up the ball in midfield went on a mazy run and fired the ball home from 20 yards.


Wulfs responded well and created three good chances, first when a quick throw in found Purdie whose low cross flashed along the 6 yard box, secondly when a quick free kick found Marsh and his ball over the top was fired wide by Bright and finally when Webb again got to the byline and pulled the ball back in between Brookes and Bright.


Nuneaton started the second half quickly and dominated the first 10 minutes but Wulfs eventually got a relieving free kick. Charlesworth’s ball into the box caused confusion and Stain pulled back Pearson to concede a penalty, and receive a yellow card. Bright calmly sent the keeper the wrong way to restore Wulfs’ lead.


Wulfs had a chance to extend the lead but Brookes overhead kick went straight to the keeper.


Nuneaton pushed for an equaliser and Washbourne set Coates-Jarman free but his tame shot was well saved by Ryan but a minute later, on 63 minutes, the ball found its way to Baker on the edge of the box and he swivelled and hit the ball into the net.


Nuneaton had their tails up and nearly grabbed the lead twice in quick succession. Firstly Mewies hit the bar with a shot from 30 yards and then Baker, looking suspiciously offside, had his effort well saved by Ryan.


Manager Purdie then changed formation to a3-5-2by bringing on Whatton and Gutteridge and both sides struggled manfully for the winner with the best chance falling to Wulfs when Charlesworth got to the byline and cut the ball back for Turner who was tackled as he tried to get off his shot.


A late booking for Turner did not spoil what was an excellent game between 2 very good sides which neither deserved to lose as the game finished 2-2.


Back to Fixtures & Results