U18’s slump to first defeat

A slow start and an early sending off cost Wulfs dearly in this home game against AFC Telford United.


Telford fired an early warning shot when Jack Davies’ header was well held by keeper Jake James under his own crossbar.


The warning wasn’t heeded as Wulfs were reduced to 10 men in the 13th minute after Brad Williams had shown a great turn of pace before being brought down by Rob Whatton.  Although Tom Smith missed the resulting penalty, it was also going to be a long night after the dismissal of Whatton.


Williams then fired wide before the visitors took a deserved 27th minute lead when Davies headed home a Jeremy Cooper free kick from the left.

Wulfs had a great opportunity to hit back four minutes later when Jake Webb did well on the left before crossing low to the near post where Ryan Bright threw himself at the ball but could only divert it wide of the near post.


Telford continued to push and grabbed a vital second goal four minutes before the interval.  Cooper was again the provider, this time from a corner, and Davies was again on hand to head home.


If Wulfs had any hopes of staging a second half come back, their job was made much more difficult as Telford increased their lead one minute into the second half.  Williams again made full use of his pace down the right but his cross was diverted into the path of Smith who fired home.


A 4th goal in the 52nd minute effective killed off the game.  Cooper broke well down the left before crossing on low for Williams to divert home from close range.


Wulfs continued to battle manfully and went close in the 81st minute when Bright had a stinging 25 yard shot tipped over the bar.


The efforts were finally rewarded in the 87th minute when Jack Marsh and Jake Webb combined well down the right before Webb crossed in to the middle and Liam Wilkinson headed home.


The joy lasted just a minute as Telford were awarded a penalty after two players had collided in the area. Davies gratefully took advantage to complete his hat-trick.


Wulfs will have to start the game brighter next week.


Back to Fixtures & Results